Friday, June 12, 2009

MPG and Late Night


If you were a child or teenager in the 90s, you’re probably keeping close watch on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.

No, not for the Roots (the best band in late night, maybe the best band period). Not for the awkward comedy stylings of Jimmy Fallon.

For moments like last Monday.

I’m not a big JF fan. But the fact that he is two ‘yes’s away from a full Saved By the Bell reunion qualifies him for sainthood.

The fact that he got Mark-Paul Gosselaar to resurrect Zack Morris for a full ten-minute bit including music from Zack Attack? We should be worshiping him as a deity.

Well, yes, MPG was plugging Raising the Bar, a show I have yet to see BTW, and that the whole affair had a twinge of awkwardness, but come on. Even the luckiest degenerate gamblers wouldn’t have bet on that.

But how amazing would this reunion be? I know I’m not the only one who can’t hear anyone say, “I’m so excited” without finishing “I’m so scared” in his or her head. I know I’m not the only one who still remembers all the words to the theme song or snip-bits of choreography to “the Sprain.” It’s our childhood! I even watch “Good morning Miss Bliss” if its on. That’s dedication.

It might be a rating stunt. But frankly, it worked. I watch Late Night as often as I can now and probably will after the reunion is over. Unlike Conan, Jimmy actually seems, well, human.
Maybe it’s the hair or his strange pantomimes, but I don’t actually care for Conan. In fact, late night talk shows aren’t really my bag at all.

I can’t really put my finger on it. Maybe it’s the fact that 5 shows a week are just too much for comedy writers these days. Jokes are hit or miss, usually somewhere in between, like it ricocheted off the delivery or hit but bounced off the timing. At least Jimmy recognizes when jokes go bad and gives the cue cards to the audience, or invites someone down to try to do it better.

Sure, he ruined a lot of SNL skits with his laughing and relied too heavily on vague impressions, but the show is good, people.

I’m curious. Do you agree with me? What late night shows do you watch and why? Are you excited about the Saved By the Bell reunion? Does MPG make you feel awkward too? Leave a comment below.

1 comment:

  1. I nearly peed myself when he did the "freeze!"

    The JF Show is teh only late night show i even considering watching. I agree on every account.

    Anyway, I love the blog!

    ReplyDelete